Updated 5/26/20 10:05am
The "Stuck at Home" Short Film Soundtrack Contest is now closed! Thanks to all the participants.
We're considering making this an annual event. We had over 30 filmmakers and bands/musicians participate in the contest. There were well over 1000 votes for the final phase of the audience choice award. It was great to see all the films and soundtracks that were entered. Everyone should be proud! Like us on FB and follow us on IG to be updated on future contests:
The "Stuck at Home" Short Film Soundtrack Contest!
Film Columbus is partnering with the Columbus Music Commission to provide soundtracks for the winning films of the "Stuck at Home" Short Film Contest. Bruce Garfield, executive director of the Music Commission, is providing cash prizes to the musicians for their winning soundtracks. Now that the winners have been chosen by film industry judges, local musicians can pick a film to provide a custom soundtrack. The musicians will work with the filmmakers and have until Monday, May 8 at 10pm to submit the films with new soundtracks. Musicians can win up to $300 for the winning soundtrack.
“The impetus of this contest was to provide a creative outlet for local filmmakers and creatives and hopefully provide a little financial help,” says Daugherty. “We at the Music Commission are happy to provide our local music makers with opportunities to apply their creativity and earn for their works,” says Columbus Music Commission Executive Director Bruce Garfield.
If you're a musician and wish to enter the contest email [email protected] for more info.
The "Stuck at Home" Short Film Contest WINNERS announced!
The judges have chosen the winners:
SHORT FILMS (60 seconds to 5 minutes in length)
Winner: "Quarantine Treasure" by Zuri Clarno
First Runner-Up: "Alvin the Alien" by Michelle Capstone
Second Runner-Up: "COVID Conversations" by Donte Woods-Spikes
SHORTER SHORTS (Less than 60 seconds)
Winner: "Working From Home - The Real Story" by Shaun Brown
First Runner-Up: "Hoarding" by Andrew
Second Runner-Up: "Happy Pets" by Andrew Haraburda
View the winning films here: https://vimeo.com/showcase/7038382
View all the submissions here: https://woobox.com/bqdhjr
I'd like to thank our judges:
Lachandra Baker; Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Mark Barbash; Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Hannah Barefoot; actor - Los Angeles
Elizabeth Bell; producer - Los Angeles
Mike Gallicchio; entrepreneur/founder, Columbus Food Truck Festival - Columbus
Phil Garrett; Elevate Films, Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Jami Goldstein; Greater Columbus Arts Council, Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Bret Icenhower; Brainstorm Media, Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Amanda Jaros; actor - Los Angeles
Chas Kaplan; founder, Columbus Food Truck Festival/Kaplan Artist Group - Columbus
Eric Parmater; producer - Los Angeles
Kyoung Swearingen; Ohio State University, Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Jim Sweeney; Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
Amy Weis; Film Columbus Advisory Board - Columbus
A message from Film Commissioner John Daugherty and your Columbus Music Commission
Dear central Ohio filmmakers, film industry cast, crew and musicians. We hope you are all safe and staying healthy. We realize many of you are without work right now. To provide a little bit of help and to also help pass the time, Film Columbus is launching the "Stuck at Home" short film contest. We’ll be providing cash prizes to the top three winners in each category. Include your family or roommates (if you're already stuck at home together), but remember to follow all social distancing guidelines.
Requirements and prize amounts are listed below. Please read the rules carefully.
We have partnered with the Columbus Music Commission to provide the opportunity for local bands and musicians to provide a soundtrack for the top three Shorts winners (1-5 mins in length).
The winning Short films will be posted online. Local Columbus musicians will choose one of the three films and work with the filmmakers to provide a custom soundtrack (maximum of two revisions). The Columbus Music Commission is also providing cash prizes to the musicians for the winning soundtracks. Additional requirements will be posted after winning films are announced. The final films with soundtracks will be posted to pick an overall audience choice winner via online voting with an additional cash prize going to the audience choice winner.
Please continue to stay safe and healthy. Continue to practice social distancing as we all fight this pandemic together. We’ll get through this and we’ll be stronger when we do. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you have questions: [email protected]
- John Daugherty
Film Commissioner and Director, Greater Columbus Film Commissioner
Short (1-5 mins):
Shorter Short (less than 60 secs):
The winning films will be screened at the inaugural Cinema Columbus Film Festival taking place July 23-26. For more information on Cinema Columbus click here.
· All films must be shot and edited on a smartphone. See links below on filming/editing on your smartphone.
· Films ARE NOT required to be a PSA, but ALL films must include a reference to the date of filming (newspaper, dialog stating the date, mention of Coronavirus, social distancing, etc).
· CANNOT submit in both the Short and Shorter Short categories.
· Practice local and state social distancing orders and all orders from the offices of the Governor and Ohio Health Department.
· All films must be family friendly. Any films containing inappropriate language or images will not be screened.
· All films must open with the Film Columbus slate below. Download it here or right click on image below. Slate must be on screen for a minimum of 5 seconds.
· All participants must live in Franklin county or contiguous surrounding counties. All films must be shot and edited in Franklin county or contiguous surrounding counties.
· Films should be no longer than five minutes total running time, including required Film Columbus contest slate.
· Films 60 seconds or less should be submitted as a “Shorter Shorts”
· Films between one and five minutes in length should be submitted as “Shorts.”
· Film entries must be recorded between Monday, April 6, 2020, and Wednesday, April 15, 2020.
· Films will be judged by a team of industry professionals.
· In submitting your film, you acknowledge the possibility of your work being shared universally from various social media platforms.
· Films are due Wednesday, April 15, by 10 p.m EST.
· Contestants may post their finished films on social media upon completion, but they MUST include the required Film Columbus slate and include the Film Columbus hashtag: #filmitincbus.
· After the six winning films are chosen, those films will be posted where local musicians/bands can choose a winning film to work with the filmmaker to provide a soundtrack. Those finished films with the new soundtrack will be posted and voted on to choose an audience award winner.
· Entrants who don’t include the required Film Columbus slate will be disqualified.
· Have fun and be safe!
· Editing on an Android: https://youtu.be/OuNdGKnxrEY
· Editing on an iPhone: https://youtu.be/OuNdGKnxrEY